Here’s the video we promised you –
Here’s a recap of what’s in the video.
20 Ways to get your first student
Before you start –
Make sure you have some business cards – we talk about making some in our guide – you should have at least a hundred or so.
1. Talk to your friends and family.
2. Talk to your child’s teacher.
3. If you don’t have a child in the grade you want to tutor then go to functions the school is having. These could include ballgames, plays etc.
We talk for some time about the following ways in our guide – which you can purchase from cleverapple.com
4. Contact the guidance counselor.
5. Post flyers
6. Get on the tutor contact list
7. Post pull tab sheets
8. Speak with the librarian at the school and the librarian for your town.
9. Find local merchants that deal in items that may appeal to kids… like book stores, video game stores etc. You’ll want to find small local merchants. Ask them to insert your card in with the bag when parents with kids buy something.
10. Find out when the next school PTA / PTO meeting is in your school district. Attend the meeting and before the meeting starts ask the moderator if you can announce your tutoring service at the end of the meeting.. 99% of the time they will say yes.
11. After the PTO / A meeting volunteer to speak at the next meeting about study skills / how to improve test scores – give a 15 or so minute presentation and at the end make sure to mention your tutoring service.
12. Offer to make the same presentation at your local library.
13. Advertise your free presentation at the library using public service announcements on the radio and television
14. School Carnival –
15. Find tutors in your area that tutor different subjects or grade levels than you do. Offer to trade students with them… if you get a lead they could tutor you send it to them… if they get one they’ll send it to you.
16. We talk quite abit about promoting your business on the internet in our guide… here are a few additional ideas. Local forums
17. Local news / facebook pages
18. Free advertising on Craigslist
19. Your church – ask the pastor to make an announcement
20.Â Â Contact the sunday school teacher for the group of kids you’re going for and let them spread the word to the kids parents
We have some more paid ideas for you to do but these will definitely make a head start.