Last week we talked about an easy way to get some new clients, you can find that article here –
Now we’re going to talk about another way to get students. You should have figured out the date of the back to school things for the schools you tutor at. Now we’re going to plan on what to do for that date.
- Create a specific page for each school if you tutor more than one. If they each have separate dates then make a note of that. Create a page on your WordPress site – a static page, not a post. Make is something easy like, yoursitename.com/school (abbreviate if you can). On this page put in your offer. If you’re going to different schools make each offer unique. We’ve talked about discounts before. Highlight specific things on the page – how you helped Johnny last year, subjects you tutor, the discount and how to contact you.
- Find out how it works for each of the schools you want to go to. If you already know the guidance counselor, teachers you can speak with them. If possible, you want to set up at the school. Explain that you’ll be providing the students with a free lesson before school starts back. Don’t hide the fact that you are a tutor. This depends on the school district, it may not work, but they may allow you to set up with vendors… if not don’t worry there is another way.
- Create the content – we’ll say I’m tutoring math. I create a list of things the student might have forgotten this summer. This depends on the school grade, let’s say I’m tutoring high school and I tutor Algebra students at the freshmen level. Then create a guide that helps to remind them of the basics of what they learned last year (or get them ready for Algebra if this will be their first year of Algebra. Videos are best, but you can also create a pdf. Create the content – add it to the school’s page.
- Make sure you have brochures and business cards. Make sure you have the link for the school. Make sure you have enough. If they let you in the school, you’ll want to have a giveaway. Get a gift certificate for a local store. Make some sheets, students / parents will be putting their contact info on the sheet and you’ll be doing a drawing for a month’s free tutoring. Have the drawing during the contest and contact the winner if possible. [[ there are rules / laws for contests – I am no lawyer so please make sure you follow the applicable laws for where you live]. Give out cards / brochures – let them know the discount. – make sure your discount is limited. They will need to contact you before school starts, also note on your page that spots are limited.
- If you aren’t in the school, hang out outside of the school, I did it at a grocery store in our town, getting permission from the owner. I setup a table, with a poster and my brochures, you can do that too.
- From the names, you get contact them within a day or two. Explain that they didn’t win but you’ll give them one tutor session for free before school starts, just to make sure their student is ready. They can take you up on it or not. If you do well with the student during that session, you’ll likely keep them for the school year.
Don’t worry can’t do it offline, at the school, near the school or if your tutor business is not local, we’ll give you an idea next week.