I know it’s been a while since we’ve sent a newsletter, it’s been a busy summer for us. Today we’re going to start a series over the next four weeks that will help make sure you have a full house when you start tutoring this fall. I realize that some of you don’t tutor students that are in school, you can use these techniques as well, you just will need to tweak them a little bit. These tips are for those of you who tutored last year.
Email past students –
Our goal for this process is to fill up our tutor slots for the next semester / year. Figure out now how many tutor students you’ll need to be able to start the school year with a full boat. Next create a list of your tutor students from last year along with phone numbers, print out that list. Make some notes of students that will no longer need your tutoring and students that have confirmed their tutoring for next year.
- Contact the students that have not signed up yet. We’ll want to offer some kind of incentive if they sign up this week. This could be a decreased tutor price or something extra. Here is a sample script – modify it as you see fit. Good Morning, I’m the owner of Clever Apple Tutoring, we tutored Johnny last year and I was wondering if I could speak with you for a few minutes. [[ if it’s a bad time, figure out a good time and call them back ]] Johnny did well last year, we helped him go from a C to a B+ in Math, we’re working on getting students scheduled for the new school year. This week we’re offering 2 weekly sessions for $50 for the first month or 1 weekly session for $30.00 for the first month. After the first month we’ll charge you what we did last year. This offer is only available this week, we have Mondays and Weds available from 6pm till 9 pm, which slot would you like. – They will either go for it or not. If they go for it, sign them up, if they don’t thank them for their time and then say the following.Do you know anyone that might benefit from our services? We’re offering a $50 Amazon gift card if you introduce us to someone and they sign up with one of our tutoring programs. There is no limit on how many gift cards you can get. Do you know anyone that could benefit from our services? If yes then fill out the info below. If no then remind them that the offer is ongoing and if they hear someone during the school year that needs help, give you a call.
- Prospective students name –
Subject they need help with –
Contact info – Phone / Email / Facebook page
- Continue through your list of old students that didn’t sign up. Did you fill up? If not then go through the students that have already signed up. Ask them how their summer is going, remind them of the days / times that you’ll be tutoring their student and then ask them about any students they may know.
- Now call the folks – prospects. When you call them –
- Introduce yourself
- Tell them why you are calling. Who refered you, how you can help their student. Ask them what their child had the most trouble with. Let them know that you have a page on your website devoted to that subject / topic. Offer to send them an email with the link, also offer them a time limited discount.
C. Give them your contact information if they don’t sign up, if they do sign up, do the happy dance and go to the next person.
Hopefully this helps you and you at least get a couple of students, next week we’ll talk about another way to get more students.
Find out the dates of back to school bashes. Many schools have them, get some firm dates for when this is going to be, a school calendar from each of the schools you’re tutoring and touch base with teachers / guidance counselors that you have relationships with.
We have discovered a tool that we’ve been working on implementing. We have been super busy, but we do plan on using it and have a tutorial video that we created – you can check it out below. The cool thing is that integrates with Paypal and Stripe – you don’t really even need a website to use it, but it does now integrate with Word Press. The best thing is that it takes the hassle out of scheduling. You have a new client that needs some extra time, send them to a page where they can pay and schedule the session.
The are running a special for $97 for the year that lasts till August 3rd. Click here for details and to sign up. [that is an affiliate link]