Like it or not we’re getting close to the end of the ‘normal’ school year. A time when most students (and teachers, tutors) have been anticipating with joy and dreading at the same time. By now you know your students, you should know their strengths and weaknesses. Today we’re going to talk about some things that will help them do a little better on their finals.
- Find out now when the final(s) will be. Schools do finals differently. Colleges, some anyway allow students to choose when they are going to take their final. When you have the date, make a plan on how you’re going to study for it. As the tutor you’ll have a limited amount of time with them before, so you want to make sure the days they aren’t tutoring with you, they’re still studying for the test.
- Learn what will be on the test. You can usually get this information from the student. If you tutor students every year that have the same teacher and subject, you will have a good idea of what will be on the final exam.
- You have already been helping your student make better scores on their tests. During the few weeks before the test date – focus on things they are still having trouble with, the test questions / types of questions they have been missing on exams.
- Help them relax.
Now is also a good time to remind them that pretty soon they’ll have a whole summer to enjoy with having to worry about homework or tests.
Some ideas for extra income.
- If your student needs extra sessions – offer them. Sometimes it is easy to offer these for free, but you’re running a business so don’t do it.
- Speak with your students, if there are many people in the class your tutoring that might need help, think about scheduling a weekend class.
- Now is also the time to start thinking about if you’ll be tutoring your current students next year (or not).
Enjoy your week.