Next issue weâ€™ll also provide you with a video so you can see all of them in use.
If you didnâ€™t get the chance to watch last weeks video, you want to do that now.
Also you might have missed a post we made about tutoring with a video camera. You can find it here.
Next issues will be April 16, April 30th .
How to Tutor on Google Hangouts â€“
Presentation / Lecture â€“
You tutor High School Math. In an effort to bring some more customers in you decide to teach some extra classes about passing the math portion of the ACT / SAT test.
Preparing a presentation isnâ€™t hard, if youâ€™ve been tutoring the subject for a few months. The great thing about giving a presentation is you create it once, then you can sell the same content over and over again.
We decide to talk about the five ACT math problems that most people miss. Youâ€™ve gathered this information from previous students, if you donâ€™t have a clue then you can visit sites that are dedicated to that subject. It shouldnâ€™t be too hard to find the information.
- Jot down some notes. This will be the outline for your presentation. When you finish the first run through, expand it a bit. You want the presentation to last from 30 minutes to an hour. If its any longer than that youâ€™ll want to make two presentations. I like using just highlights for what Iâ€™m talking about. If I write down too much then I sound like a drone, which is boring.
- Find two or three good examples for each of the problems. Insert step by step instructions for completing the problems.
- When you have your notes written down youâ€™ll want to proof them. I always use word to do that. Then youâ€™ll want to either use Power Point or you can use the Google Docs version (slides).
- You can make it fancy by using a free template and transitions or you can make it basic. Just search for â€˜free [program your using] templatesâ€™.
- Practice your presentation a couple of times.
- Announce it to your people that youâ€™ll be having a Google hangout â€“ if you want you can sell these. Weâ€™ve talked quite a bit in the past about having a lead in product, this would work for that.
- On the date you announced it, do your hangout. Just make sure you practice a few times before hand. Things will probably go wrong but donâ€™t worry about it. At the end of your presentation let all of the attendees know about the wonderful products that you can sell them so that they can make a great grade on their ACT.
Weâ€™ll talk more about how you can use what youâ€™ve just created in a video.
Homework / Q and A â€“
Again you can use this as an added bonus or something extra to sell. Find a time block of three or four hours. I like Saturdays from 10am to 2pm. Tell your customers that youâ€™ll be offering a hangout if they have any questions. Explain to them how they can ask the question (use the chat box or send you a file with the problem they have a question about it in advance). I always like to prepare some additional problems if you have people watching the show but arenâ€™t asking questions. I would prepare 40 or 50 problems. If there seems to be a recurring theme with the questions people are asking then add some of those problem types to the mix.
While weâ€™ve talked about a specific program, you could do the same thing for anything that you tutor. You know what most of your clients are looking for / need to help them with their grades. Think of the biggest problem they have and then create something that helps them fix it.
As always if you have any questions or would like for us to help you with ideas, then please feel free to send us a note. mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us / more information.
You can find much more information on our blog. Just use the search box and type something in, you may be surprised at what you find.
or find us on Facebook.