We hope you and your family are doing well. Our thoughts and prayers go out to those who’ve been devastated by the deadly storms from last week.
—>> Advice – Getting ready for Summer
You can feel it in the air, Spring is definitely here (although this morning we had frost) and Summer is around the corner. Here are some tips for keeping your clients during the Summer (if you wish).
We all enjoy time off during the Summer and if you don’t want to work then make sure to let the parents know which weeks you’ll be wanting to take off. Even if you plan on taking the Summer off I would recommend resuming a few weeks before school officially starts in the Fall.
Either case you’ll want to do the following:
1. Have the student find out the classes they’ll be having next year.
2. Get the student to find out if the teachers have any reading lists or things they need to do during the Summer (some will and others won’t).
3. Call the teachers and ask them what they would recommend doing in preparation of their class. Ask them some of the subjects and topics they’ll be studying during the first few weeks and months of school.
The goal of course will be to give your students a head start. We’ll continue with part 2 next time.
—>> Tutor Tips – One of the things you can teach during the Summer is study skills (or how to study). Here are a few resources that we’ve found that can help you do just that.
A super resource with many links. One of the best ways to get an assessment is have the student take the self assessment on this page – http://www.studygs.net/attmot4.htm
After you get a score you can review each of the questions and help them to learn how to do it right. Example: Question 1 is about setting a positive attitude. You can give them some options / thoughts on how they can get the right attitude, how to create a study space, and how to get rid of distractions.
2. A good assessment tool for how you learn – http://thinktank.arizona.edu/resources/selfassesment/learning_style
3. This page is for college but has useful links for any age group or grade – http://www.dartmouth.edu/~acskills/success/index.html
—>>Â Business Help – A few of you emailed me with what you would like for us to cover relating to getting started online. We need a few more responses. Just reply to this email and let us know where you are now online – and what you would like us to help you with. The majority will rule, but we will cover all of the topics eventually.
—>> Off the Hook
The 12 best summer vacations – http://travel.usnews.com/Rankings/Best_Summer_Vacations/
—>>Â Help us out
If you like what you’ve read we would love to hear from you. If you think you have a friend that would benefit forward this newsletter to them. Like us on facebook – and share your thoughts about us in the comments box below.
Here’s our facebook url – – http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tutoring-Business-Help/186004714761452?sk=wall
Other issues can be found here.
We look forward to seeing you next week.