Today we’re going to talk about some ideas for you to increase your earnings if you tutor college students. Tutoring college students is different than tutoring grade school and high school. In college normally you’ll be tutoring students for a semester, then the next semester they’ll be taking classes that don’t have anything to do with you. This isn’t the case all of the time, but generally. Example, let’s say you tutor math. Unless someone is a math major, they’ll only be taking one or two math courses during their time in college. We’ll talk another day about getting more students if you tutor college students.
Here are still some ideas for your college students.
- They should know or will in a few days what grade they achieved. Do an end of the semester assessment with the student (you might have to do this over the phone). Talk with them about what they did well, what they did poorly. Offer them some guidance on how they can become a better student.
- Ask them if they have any friends that could use your services. Get there names and phone numbers and contact them during the break. Hi Lisa, George told me to get in touch with you, he mentioned you were taking calculus next year. Over the break we’re having a free q and a on this date and we would love for you to attend. Can I send you some details.
- Get some testimonials from them. Now. Adding fresh testimonials to your website and brochures look good.
- If they will be taking another math class for the next semester, lock in with them now when you’ll start / how much you’ll be charging etc. A good idea is to have a weekend refresher during the break, just to remind them of things they learned the previous semester.
- Tell the student for every new lead they bring you next semester that you close, you’ll give them some cash – $50 works well. If they agree, give them some cards, brochures, make sure to include their name on it.
- Keep their contact information and make a note in your calendar to send them a note a couple of weeks after the semester starts.
I hope you enjoy your weekend.