We talked about ‘loving’ your customers last week. Someone sent me a note and asked should we give students a gift. I think it depends, here are some things to keep in mind.
- You should know your students and their family’s beliefs. The most important thing is to do nothing that will conflict with those. If you’re in doubt, your student is young, then ask their parents.
- If you start giving things, you will not be able to end it. Students and everyone I think loves traditions; you will be in it for the long haul.
- Give everyone the same thing. Students will compare / share what you gave them.
- When I say the same thing, I mean the same general dollar amount. The best gift is one that is unique to the student. I was tutoring math one year, I found a killer deal on scientific calculators (less than 10 bucks each) – even though I gave them all one, I made sure to personalize it for each one.
- Remember anything you spend for your business you’ll be able to deduct from your taxes. Make sure to speak with your accountant for details.
Enjoy your weekend.